66 Auto Color Motorcycle Transformation!
Back in 2013, we gave this motorcycle a fresh, clean, new design. We started with a chopper that was painted with a somewhat conflicting design. We wanted to update it with the new House of Kolor Shimrin-2 pearls for a more stealth-like design. After studying the tank, we decided to keep the flames. They were back masked to prepare the rest of the tank for paint. The steps we took are below:
- Wash and clean the tank.
- Used Spray Max Wax and Grease Remover and wiped dry with a lint free towel.
- Lightly sanded with 400 grit being careful to not break through the clear. The old paint was still in good condition, so it wasn't necessary to take it all down.
- Masked off the flames.
- Used the wax and grease remover again and a tack cloth and it is ready to spray.
- Using the Spray Max 1K base coat, we painted two coats base coat black, waiting about 10 minutes between coats (When you set the can down for an extended time be sure to turn the can upside down and clear the nozzle each time. This prevents clogging and spitting).
- After 10 minutes we were ready to paint the House of Kolor Shimrin 2 charcoal pearl - color number 0047V. We sprayed three coats of the pearl. This was also in the Spray Max Aerosol 1K Base Coat.
- After drying for 10 minutes we used a tack cloth on the color in preparation for the clear coat. This helps pick up any loose dry pearl.
- Waiting 30-40 minutes we were ready to spray the Spray Max Glamour Clear Coat.
- We activated the clear coat cans with the button on the bottom of the 2K can, shook the cans about 5 minutes, and after spraying the first light coat, we turned the can upside down to clear the nozzle between coats (one of the most important steps in using the 2K product).
- We tested the clear coat between coats by putting our thumb on a wet spot on a masked off area to see if it was ready to spray. If it is still stringy it is not ready; it should just be tacky and leave an imprint.
- We applied three more full wet coats. We stopped there, but you could wait until the clear was completely dry, block sand, and re-clear until the flames are completely leveled out in clear.
- Final picture is without color sanding and buffing.
Products used: 1 Spray Max Wax & Grease Remover
1 Spray Max 1K Gloss Black
2 Spray Max House of Kolor Shimrin 2 Base coat #0047V
2-3 Spray Max 2K Clearcoat